Last Updated on
We are committed to researching, testing, and recommending only the best baby products. We may receive a commission from purchases made through links on our site.
Homes these days don’t have massive dining rooms since this is often unused space. Apartments, condos, and most modern homes have little space to spare when it comes to extra furniture, like a full-size high chair, around the table.
This is where having a compact high chair built for small spaces can be a fantastic addition to the dining room table. These smaller, travel-ready, and folding high chairs can be quickly set up in seconds before feeding time.
They also take up considerably less space than the massive high chairs that have been around for ages. You know, the obstacle that sits off on its own and takes up an entire corner of the room. What a waste of space!
So, which is the best high chair for homes with smaller spaces?
Too busy loving your little one? Here’s our top pick.
This is our favorite high chair since it folds up super quick and compact, is very lightweight to move around, and adjusts to find the right position for your baby.
The Graco Slim Snacker is a free-standing high chair, but keep reading for our other top recommendations if you’re more interested in a chair-mounted or hook-on high chair.
Best High Chairs for Small Spaces
- Graco Slim Snacker Ultra–Compact High Chair (Best Folding High Chair)
- Inglesina Fast Table Chair (Best Hook On High Chair)
- Fisher-Price SpaceSaver High Chair (Best Space Saver High Chair)
- Chicco Pocket Snack Booster Seat
- Cosco Simple Fold High Chair with 3-Position Tray
Three Main Types of Compact High Chairs
- Folding High Chairs are as convenient as the folding chairs or step stools you likely have around the house. They often have a hinge that allows the legs and chair to completely fold up flat.
- Space Saver or Chair-Mounted High Chairs typically provide all the functionality of a full-size high chair, but are mounted to a chair rather than free-standing. They are secured by straps that wrap around the back and bottom of the chair. Our family just keeps these on the baby’s own chair at the table.
- Hook On High Chairs is one of the newest types of high chairs that are picking up in popularity. These ingenious chairs are mounted directly to a dining room table, countertop, or restaurant table in seconds. They have two arms that stretch onto the top of the table and mounting screws underneath that use pressure to keep it secure.
What to Look for in a High Chair for Small Spaces
Collapses or folds up. Even if you pick up a smaller chair, you may want a foldable high chair that collapses completely flat for easy storage or travel. You can tuck these away in a closet or bring it with you on trips.
Removable fabric seat cover. Seats on high chairs get caked with crumbs and covered in liquids like milk, baby food, or spit-up. You’ll want to be able to detach the seat cover to easily clean up after feeding time.
Stable and secure base. The high chair should be stable whether the chair is self-standing or strapped to a chair. If there is a lot of wiggle, there’s a chance the baby can tip the chair over or fall out.
Adjustable trays or seatbacks. No two babies are made the same. Some have bigger bellies or legs which may require a tray that offers more room. Also, some babies like to recline while others do better sitting up straight while eating.
Best High Chairs for Small Spaces Reviews
1. Graco Slim Snacker Ultra-Compact High Chair (Best Folding High Chair)
- Fast folding high chair that requires only one hand to operate
- 3- and 5-point harness to keep baby secure
- Extra-large mesh storage basket to hold baby’s meal-time essentials or toys
- Self-standing foldable high chair for easy storage
- Footrest to provide more comfort for your infant
- 3 position reclining seat to find the right position for feeding
- Seat padding is thicker and easy to wipe clean
- Seat cover doesn't remove for more thorough washing
- Pull handle on the seat used for folding catches crumbs
Maximum Weight: 40 pounds
2. Inglesina Fast Table Chair (Best Hook On High Chair)
- Attaches right to the table so your baby eats with the family rather than off by themself
- Secures firmly to the table using a coupling you twist to tighten
- Fits tables up to 3 inches thick
- Collapsible design makes it great for small spaces or on-the-go highchair
- Chair is made of a durable and machine washable material that comes in 9 colors
- Storage pocket on the back is great for holding baby wipes, bibs, or spoons
- Compact and elegant design makes it easy to keep on the table when not in use
- Baby tray must be purchased separately
- Must take caution when attaching to lighter tables prone to tipping or softer wood that may be damaged by the clamp
- Risk of injury if the chair is not mounted properly due to lack of legs/base
- Gap between baby and table may result in crumbs and food on the floor
Maximum Weight: 37 pounds
3. Fisher-Price SpaceSaver High Chair (Best Space Saver High Chair)
- Provides all the features of a full-size high chair in a smaller package
- Secures to almost every style chair with straps and protective rubber pads
- Two adjustable heights with three reclining positions
- Machine-washable seat pad and harness
- Dishwasher safe tray and seat for easy cleanup
- Deep tray design keeps most of the baby’s food from falling (won’t help babies that throw food)
- Thicker cushion makes meal-time more comfortable for your baby
- Gap on the sides of the tray can be a pinch hazard for little fingers
- Hand cleaning takes a while due to the many cracks and crevices
- Tray storage on the back of the seat is not very secure and may fall out
- Changing the seat height is more difficult than it should be
Maximum Weight: 40 pounds
- Collapses to fold up for compact storage
- Adjustable to three different heights
- Anti-slip rubber feet keep baby safe and protect chairs from damage
- Carry strap makes it easy for travel
- Sturdy base keeps it stable and planted to the chair (little wiggle)
- Seat and tray must be hand washed
- Tray is on the smaller side without a cup or bottle holder
- Decent number of crevices for food to get caught in
- Tray doesn’t easily slide on like other brands
Maximum Weight: 50 pounds
- Folds up similar to a folding chair making it compact for travel or storage
- Comes in 10 different styles to match your baby’s theme
- Quick setup high chair that’s ready in seconds
- Lightweight design makes it easy to carry and store
- Easy to clean wipeable seats
- Three setting adjustable tray with cup holder
- High chair leans back, but does not have adjustable reclining
- Non-adjustable reclined seatback may not be ideal for all babies
- Fabric seat cover is not easily removed for washing
- High chair feet stick out which could be a trip hazard for smaller spaces
Maximum Weight: 50 pounds
High chairs are fantastic at helping your baby learn how to eat sitting up in a chair. They are a great starting point before your baby transitions to a booster seat or sitting on the dining room chair.
Compact high chairs are great for traveling or if you just want to save space around the dining room table. Most of these high chairs fold up or collapse for easy storage.
They come in many shapes, but our pick for the best high chair for small spaces is the Graco Slim Snacker Ultra-Compact High Chair.
This is our favorite space saver high chair due to fast-folding, compact storage, and lightweight design makes it easy to move between rooms. The Graco Slim Snacker high chair is simple to clean, offers an adjustable tray, and several reclining settings to make feeding time enjoyable for your baby.
Do you use any of these high chairs to feed your baby? Please share your experience in the comments below!